Saturday 12 July 2014

Saturday Scribbles - Less is More

So today I get to have a guest design spot at Less is More.  This is such a thrill for me as their design team is just amazing and I'm always so inspired by their cards, techniques and style.

It's one layer this week and the theme is 'Adapt a fingerprint'.  Mmm! One layer is tricky, but doodling with a fingerprint as a starting point - well I did panic slightly! But all I can say is I was wrong.  I enjoyed playing with this idea so much I ended up making a couple of cards and I'm not sure which Chrissie will use so I'll share both.

This is my first, which I have to say is my favourite of the two.  This whole idea of using a fingerprint takes me back to my teaching days or maybe even further back to playschool when fingers were used for everything!



I started out by using a mask and distress ink to create a background and then did my finger painting - oops mean printing - to create a flower. I used an American Crafts precision pen to draw the stem and leaves and doodled the flower centre, leaf middle and lines and spots around the petals.




Then I got to thinking that the brief said 'adapt a fingerprint' and maybe five fingerprints wasn't okay.  I remembered when I ran the local beaver group and we made Easter chicks and bunnies from fingerprints and so my mind wandered to other creatures that could be created using just one print. My imagination was stirred but of course had to be limited to what I could draw - not a great deal of choice after all! And this is what I came up with:




I started the card exactly as the first with an inked background, then used a Martha Stewart punch to create a flower stencil for my ladybird to sit on. I did try to draw a stem and leaf, but it defeated me, so I used an ancient stamp from my stash. 

I printed my finger ladybird and drew in the spots, head, legs and feelers. Another cute card done!


Supplies:
Card 1:
Mask: Memory box, texture mesh
Ink: Ranger distress, brushed cordurou; Memento, lady bug, tuxedo black
Stamp: Clearly Besotted, sentiment from Pretty Petals
Pen: American Crafts, precison black
Card 2:
Mask, Ink & Pen - as above
Punch: Martha Stewart
Stamps: Clearly Besotted, flower centre from Pretty Petals Plus & sentiment from Geometric Style; See-D's garden of friendship leaf

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today. Hope you'll have found some inspiration here! 

Maybe you'll come back again tomorrow for the new game at AAA Cards.

Jane
 ***


17 comments:

  1. Two amazing cards Jane... You've don't great.
    Glad to have you on board this week
    Sarah
    Less is more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab take on the theme and well done on your GDTM slot this week - ENJOY!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab card Jane and congrats on your GDT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. bot are really sweet cards x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab fingerprint flower on your card, so effective !

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on your LIM GDT - two great cards.
    And yes, would be ideal for children to do!
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these, Jane! The ladybird is so sweet and you have got the perfect balance of inky and CAS :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on being a guest-designer at LIM this week! Think both your cards are great; I really love the brown squer-background! Have a great weekend, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your fingerprint(s) card. Simple but so perfect!! I guess I've got to give it a try. Thanks for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. jane your cards are simply fab.. glad you are joining us as GDT this week
    jen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous card. I just love your ladybug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous cards, I love them both. Hugs Sylvie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane thanks so much for being a GD and wow you came up with two super cards, I really like the way the whorls on the fingerprints give texture. The ladybird is adorable!
    Anne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jane, Congrats on your Guest designer spot at LIM, well deserved!! I love both your cards and I agree with you the first is my fav but both are special :D Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your GDT spot, I love both of your cards, fabulous backgrounds and your flowers are so pretty.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two great cards Jane - love the cute little ladybird and the stencilled background.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you have to say, huge thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.